11.09.2017

The 100 Year Project

I can't get this chair off my mind.
The interiors are the work of Richard Pettit of the Archers. The upholstery is a reworked mid-century wool wall hanging from the French Artist Buberoff. The home owner, who I believe was the driving force behind this chair, was inspired by the infamous Gertrude Stein Picasso armchairs.

11.07.2017

Framed Kid Art

I know that every parent thinks that their child's art is genius, and I am no exception to that rule. 
Kit made these at school last year and I just love them for their vibrancy. In my experience, the best kid art is produced when they are given quality materials to work with -that means good paper and real paint (not that washable stuff which cracks and flakes when it is put down with any thickness as a young enthusiast is bound to do). In this case, the medium is watercolor and pastel.

10.25.2017

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Today's post involves some recent projects which bring me both delight and frustration. I'm going to focus on the positive and only point out "the bad" for the purpose of conveying useful information rather than devolving into a self involved rag session (or that is my hope, anyway).
Up first is this recently finished pillow (the good) -the first of many, for the new banquet we had made during our hot tub construction project (the second part -the bad, of this post). 

9.28.2017

Sashiko Patch

I've had little time for projects lately and was feeling a bit antsy. This project was short and quick and had just the desired therapeutic effect of busy hands and an empty mind -kind of like knitting. 

9.20.2017

Finished! Two Slipcovered Chairs

As promised, here are some final shots of the two slipper chairs for which I recently made some slipcovers.

9.19.2017

A Muelenbeckia Screen

Last month I planted this Muehlenbeckia axillaris in some planters, with some wire topiary frames, in my back yard.

9.16.2017

How to Slipcover a Slipper Chair. Part Two

Part One of this tutorial found me tracing and cutting a pattern to slipcover these now trashed slipper chairs. Here in Part Two, I shall assemble all the pieces and sew them together. The techniques I use here should provide the outline for anyone to tackle a armless slipcover project of their own.

9.01.2017

Garden Teaser

Where oh where has the summer gone? Finally, I am posting some snapshots of the garden! I say "snapshots" because the garden is still a work in progress which I assume it will be for some time to come. But that is a good thing. Completion is satisfying, but the process, for me, is equally as important.

8.07.2017

How to Slipcover a Slipper Chair. Part One.

Hey! Why not start a new project when I've got like 3 others half finished?! I'm making some slipcovers for these velvet slipper chairs that sit at the front of the house by the piano. These chairs look fine in this picture but in reality they are completely trashed. Even four years ago, they were in bad shape

8.05.2017

A Raised Herb Box

After thinking about this for what seems like forever, I finally built a raised box for a little herb and lettuce garden.

7.24.2017

Thrift

Thrift, repair, recycle. Call it what you will. I am into it. 

7.06.2017

Backyard Walkway

Holy shit. Has it really been two months since I've checked in on what's happening in the yard with the whole hot tub build out? A lot and nothing has been happening since then.

6.24.2017

Burlap Window Shades 2.0

Finally a follow up post on the burlap shade I made for the top floor bathroom. This shade is similar in style to these ones I made for the master bathroom, with a few small functional differences. 

Like the shades downstairs, this shade is stationary and not intended to be lifted with any frequency. I have buildings right across the street so this shade is really required for privacy. The panel is hung at shoulder height because this bathroom has a very nice view of Saint Ignatius Church and the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge and it would be a shame to block that out.


6.02.2017

New Paint in the Boys' Bath

It was time for fresh paint in the boys' bathroom. Because there are so many windows in here, this is no small undertaking, but the walls were pretty dinged up and I was also ready for a refresh. I wiped everything down with TSP, taped and primed with Zinsser Zero.
  

5.27.2017

Top Floor Bathroom

The upstairs bathroom is put back together and for the most part finished.

5.17.2017

Laundry Room Reveal

Finally I am finished, finished with the laundry room. Oh how I love my laundry room!

5.10.2017

Replacing A Sink: Part Three

Ok, this is the final teaser post about this sink before I do a whole bathroom reveal because I did change things up in here.

5.04.2017

Hot Tub and Garden Renovation Preview

Yes, yes and yes! This just happened today. I'm both high with excitement and terrified by the size of this thing because yes...